May 31, 2010 · 6:14 pm
It’s Memorial Day today, and nothing says summer holiday more than an outdoor BBQ. Andy fired up the grill, threw on some hot dogs and burgers, and pulled out this month’s issue of the Food Network Magazine. This issue featured 50 different burger recipes. The one that Andy picked to try was the Chipotle Burger and then we got creative and came up with the Cuban Burger. These were easy, cheap, and creative ways to break away from the original Hamburger.
Tip: When grilling the burgers don’t flatten them with a spatula to try to get them to cook faster, they will lose their juices and flavoring…instead put the grill on medium heat and show some patience.
The Chipotle Burger:
- Grilled burger
- 2 slices of Jack cheese
- Chipotle mayonnaise (mix 1/4 cup mayo, 1 Tbl minced chipotles in adobo and a splash of lemon juice
- Avocado slices
- Served on a bun
The Cuban Burger:
- Grilled burger in the shape of a rectangle
- Swiss cheese
- Cilantro & Scallion Mayonnaise (mix 1/3 cup mayo, 1 Tbl scallions, 1 Tbl cilantro in a food processor)
- Served on Toasted Cuban Bread
May 17, 2010 · 1:31 am
- 1 cup fresh Zipper Peas
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup quatered Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 tbl red wine vinegar
- 2 tbl chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbl chopped fresh basil
- 1 tbl finely grated lemon zest
- 1 loaf Cuban bread
- 3 tbl extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
For the Salad: Boil 2-3 cups of water with a dash of salt. Add the peas, reduce heat and cook until tender. Drain, rinsing under cool water. In a large bowl combine the rest of the salad ingredients. Cover and allow to marinade for a minimum of two hours or refrigerate overnight.
For the Bruschetta: Low Broil setting. Cut the loaf in 1/2 – 1 inch slices. Arrange on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, flip the slices over and repeat. Broil for 2 minutes, flip the slices over and broil for 1 minute. Remove from oven and rub the slices with the garlic. Bread can be stored air tight and then reheated in the oven.
Spoon 2 tablespoons of salad onto each slice and serve.